[NAFEX] autumn olive

Hector Black hblack1925 at fastmail.fm
Mon Sep 8 10:12:08 EDT 2008

Hi Alan, Hank, John and Rob,
      Seems to me we're not particularly far apart in this.  Point well taken about reading posts carefully.  One of the things about email (speaking personally) is that the durn thing is gone before I've had time to really consider that this is what I want to say.  Written letters are different for me somehow.  I've wished some emails back when it was too late.
      Hank, What a bummer that they ploughed up the whole experiment at Beltsville and didn't save one cultivar!  I tend to be one of those who sees the usefulness of government, but this is one of those crass examples of waste.  Very discouraging.  New head of department and everything that went before is destroyed.  It may also have to do with the USDA declaring Autumn olive a pest, a foreign invader.  I thought it was kind of funny that they were eradicating them with one hand and researching them with the other, but apparently the eradicators got the upper hand.
     We've done a little planting of seeds and selecting, but old age keeps me from doing serious work there.  I hope some of you can keep at it.  Seems to me this is a most valuable plant.  Food, fertilizer, honey, forage, fragrance - what more could we want?
     The price of Nitrogen fert. is way up, and the production of chemical N is very polluting and uses fossil fuels.  GO! autumn olives.!
   Hector Black, zone 6 middle TN