[NAFEX] Wild persimmon tasting

nottke1 nottke1 at earthlink.net
Sun Nov 30 20:22:31 EST 2008

Mark,
Don't take out the tree.
I live and harvest wild American Persimmons (D. virginiana) from a number of trees on my property.  The fruit ripen at various times depending on sun, soil conditions, and the particular tree.  Size ranges from ping-pong ball to golf ball size.  Most have 4 seeds, a few have zero to 3 seeds - all seeds are twice the length of a watermelon seed and are beige to dark brown. Some are non-astringent on the tree, most need to turn from yellow/orange to translucent orange to become non-astringent.  I have learned to recognize on each tree, when the fruit is 'ripe'.  Now to flavor.
Each tree has a different flavor.  Some are very good eaten out of hand, most are not.  The ones that don't taste sweet and complex as-picked are the ones that make the very best persimmon pudding - I will be glad to post the recipe - it is quite simple.
I have learned an easy way to separate pulp from skins/seeds using a woven wire deep fryer basket, so I freeze a lot of pulp in one cup portions in snack ziploc bags.  This year I was overwhelmed with fruit, so I still have over 100 lbs hanging on a few trees that I grew from seed collected from selected heavy producing trees in the area - I will leave those to the possums.