[NAFEX] Schisandra question

Lon J. Rombough lonrom at hevanet.com
Thu Nov 27 16:25:39 EST 2008

Schisandra is very cold hardy (to more than -40) and likes shade.  Some
of the best plants I've seen were growing under pine trees in
Minnesota.  It's also a slug magnet when young.  I tried for three
years to get one going and the slugs mowed it every year even when
other plants nearby were untouched.
If you can get them going, they are generally dioecious, though I
understand there are some perfect flowered types.  The flowers are
attractive and very fragrant, hence the common name "Magnolia Vine".
Fruit is tart with a pepperiness to it fresh.  A friend told of eating
two slices of bread with Schizandra jam on them when he was in Russia.
Said he couldn't sleep for about 30 hours.
-Lon Rombough
NEW grape pruning video: http://www.bunchgrapes.com/dvd.html
"Best Talent in Writing" award for 2003.
A video about The Grape Grower :