[NAFEX] question posed to me about Apricots/Peaches

rob hamilton lostman_amiga at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 23 10:36:50 EST 2008

Hey gang,

I was asked a curious question on a list about fruit compounds. I brought it to this list to see I gave the proper responses. I thought some of the wiser chemist could give me a few pointers.

Robert

-------------------

.... I'm more interested in

an apricot because the seeds contain high levels of B17 (a hidden

vitamin).  The vitamin is an excellent cancer fighter and may work with

cyanide as a natural form of chemo.  It is present in all fruit seeds,

so I even eat my apple seeds now.

Audra

-------------------------------

I would say peaches are easier for 2 reasons.

First of all
Apricots (I'm told) tend to bloom very early and the flowers are
susceptible to freezing. I dont know if that is due to the fluctuation
spring temperatures we have in spring down here - causing the buds to
break early, or whether genetically apricots just bloom earlier than
others in that genus.  I know even the peach trees blossoms that grow
here can get burned from our late frosts.

When looking at
Apricots make sure you do your research. I am sure that there are
varieties that would work here, but it may not be one that readily
available in the nursery trade.

Now with all that being said,  Peaches and Apricots are not the easiest fruit grow here.
You 'may' need to regularly spray to get the fruit you want.

Concerning
your natural chemo research. You may want to look at other fruits in
the Prunus genus as well. You may find others that have higher in the
compounds that you looking for AND easier to grow here. If I recall,
the cyanide  composite is what give almonds their characteristic smell
and flavor.  There are bitter almonds out there that have a higher
level of that. Also look at some of the Prunus that are not generally
used for fruit production, they may have the levels you are looking for.

Be
careful as well. These are considered poisons. the trees way of
protecting itself from it's seeds being eaten.  I dont know these are
compound you really want to play around with. I can only assume you
have done your research in this area as well.

I would like to
post your question on one of my fruit lists to see what some of the
wiser people who know more about fruit compounds have to say. This
sounds like a very interesting topic.

Robert

North American Fruit Explorers (NAFEX)                           www.NAFEX.org

Southern Fruit Fellowship (SFF)                                          www.NAFEX.org/SFF

Southeastern Palm and Exotic Plant Society (SPEPS)

www.SPEPS.net

California Rare Fruit Growers

www.crfg.org