[NAFEX] credibility of Saskachewan, it's University and Academics

Sarah Kehler Ewing skkewing at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 17 21:27:50 EST 2008

--- On Mon, 11/17/08, Melissa Kacalanos <mijwiz at yahoo.com> wrote:

> From: Melissa Kacalanos <mijwiz at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Asian/American Plums
> To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex at lists.ibiblio.org>
> Date: Monday, November 17, 2008, 9:30 PM

> What's worse, this thing about hybrid plum pollination
> is from something I read on the internet:
> http://www.usask.ca/agriculture/plantsci/dom_fruit/articles/plums.pdf
> It's by some academics at the University of
> Saskatchewan, where I've never even been, so how do I
> know Saskatchewan even exists?

Melissa:

There is pretty good evidence that Saskatchewan exists: as part of North America, you can find Saskatchewan on many different maps. It's a big Province in Canada just to the North of Montana and North Dakota.  Saskatchewan should be easy enough to find as it is 80,000 square miles larger than Montana and 3x the size of North Dakota. The University of Saskatchewan was established in 1909 and is one of Canada's largest post secondary institutions.  And Mr. Rick Sawatsky is one of the University's foremost fruit experts and researchers.  He has worked on the development and release of a number of superior zone 2 hardy fruits, but he is probably most famous for his involvement in the development and release of a group of six outstanding, tasty, super hardy cherries: Carmine Jewel, Crimson Passion, Juliet, Romeo, Valentine, and Cupid.  In addition to this, Mr. Sawatsky and his cohorts also have developed some excellent hardy apples, honeyberries/haskaps, and
 raspberries, and they also have hazelnuts coming down the pipeline. I really can't comment on his expertise on plum pollen, but Mr. Sawatsky's knowledge on fruits in general is certainly well known and respected up here.

Sarah
zone 3 Alberta (that's the Canadian province right beside Saskatchewan and above Montana)