[NAFEX] Snake and ground hog -' varmint explorers?'

Lucky.Pittman at murraystate.edu Lucky.Pittman at murraystate.edu
Sat Nov 15 18:33:33 EST 2008

Betsy Hilborn wrote:

We have some squirrels, not enough currently to be a
problem though.  I
would probably have to trap  (I will have to check
legality in this
State)  them at this point if I wanted to eat one, as
I have not found a
source of lead-free .22 ammunition.  I can imagine
that it is
painstaking to remove lead fragments and still have
much critter to
eat...

Betsy,
You're s'posed to shoot 'em in the head!  Then, I'd
recommend discarding the head - I know, some folks
like the brains, scrambled in with their eggs, but
I'm not planning on knowingly consuming brain or
spinal cord from ANY critter.
Seems like there was a cluster of folks somewhere
here in KY that some physician was studying, a number
of years back, who had some sort of spongiform
encephalopathy that they were trying to link to
consuming squirrel brains.
I'm not planning to try them.

Really, though, .22 bullets don't really fragment
appreciably, and there'd be very little, if any, lead
to 'pick out'. Can't say the same for a shotgun, as
I've bitten down on an incalculable number of pellets
in the course of eating small game bagged with one.

Lucky Pittman
Hopkinsville, KY