[NAFEX] pie cherries

Stephen Sadler Docshiva at Docshiva.org
Wed Nov 12 13:41:36 EST 2008

Did you make the pie from birds and squirrels, or just squirrels?  ;-)

How old and how tall are your cherry trees?

~ Stephen

-----Original Message-----
From: nafex-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org
[mailto:nafex-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org] On Behalf Of Harrick, Barbara
Sent: Wednesday, November 12, 2008 7:37 AM
To: nafex at lists.ibiblio.org
Subject: [NAFEX] pie cherries

Hi all. I have 2 dwarf pie cherries--Northstar and Montmorency (on
Gisella 5 rootstock from Raintree). They are compact, full of fruit
(first year I planted!) and easy to net--I just threw the netting over
them and it kept birds and squirrels at bay (and I have some feisty,
resourceful squirrels!) I just made a pie from them that was amazing,
although they tend to freeze a brick red/brown color which is so so, but
taste was great.

Does anyone have experience with a pie cherry that freezes red?

Thanks, Barbara