[NAFEX] Beech Trees

Lon J. Rombough lonrom at hevanet.com
Fri Nov 7 21:07:14 EST 2008

On a few occasions members have discussed beech trees as having edible
nuts (mast).  I thought this article might be of interest on that
account.  One surprise was reading that the trees only have a heavy
crop about every five years.  Good way to keep the squirrel population
down, at least.
-Lon Rombough

Begin forwarded message:

  Wild and Wonderful Mayo Advertiser, November 07, 2008.
Mayo Advertiser - Mayo,Ireland
  While beech trees do not occupy anything like the place in our
mythology and traditions as do, for example, the oak and the hawthorn,
it still has a ...
   http://www.advertiser.ie/mayo/article/4260