[NAFEX] Frozen (?) apples

D Stubbs dsmndel at gmail.com
Wed Nov 5 08:32:51 EST 2008

This is an important subject to cold climate growers, but so far I haven't
found anything that relates why one apple frost damages at 27F and another
at 15F.  Makes me wonder if I should get a brix refractometer ( any apple
growers out there find them handy?) , but the apples I am thinking of seemed
to have a similar sweetness. Does anyone know the mechanism that regulates
frost damage - Cell structure? Sugar Starch Content?  Parentage? Ripeness?
Del,  2b/3a  n. Mn