[NAFEX] When to harvest late-season apples?

Lucky Pittman lucky.pittman at murraystate.edu
Mon Nov 3 17:01:49 EST 2008

At 12:36 PM 11/3/2008, Ginda wrote:
>I'm jealous.  I picked my first apple crop slightly under-ripe this year
>because the critters had already consumed most of it, and it was clear it
>wouldn't make it to 'ripe'.

I understand your frustration - it's been a constant battle, all
season long, to beat the hooved rats(whitetail deer) to any
windfalls/early drops, regardless of whether they were ripe or not -
depending upon variety.  The deer really liked Honeycrisp, Cox Orange
Pippin, Cornish Gilliflower, MonArk, Jonagold, Cinnamon Spice, and
Keiffer pear, but they did not seem to care for, and still don't seem
to be enamored with Loid, Early Harvest, MacIntosh, Red Delicious, or Winesap.
Ther are still lots of early-dropped apples on the ground underneath
the Winesap, ArkBlack and OF Limbertwig trees right now, but they're
not cleaning them up (yet).
Had to fence in my Rosseyanka persimmon - it's loaded, but they were
starting to pull fruits off, despite the fact that they're still firm
and astringent.

Lucky