[NAFEX] Seeds not germinating

Donna &/or Kieran holycow at cookeville.com
Sat May 31 15:36:55 EDT 2008

Jim,  The trouble is that we have been planting squash and cukes at the
normal time of year, and then planting again, and only then scratching our
heads and wondering what's wrong.  By now, the soil has warmed up.  We can
figure it out in retrospect, but it's too late to check the soil temp 3
weeks ago.  I remember a year though when I planted sweet corn, then it
turned chilly and rainy the first week of June.  I did get out the soil
thermometer that time, and realized my seeds were doomed.  I do use it most
years, but only when I am trying to hurry up and get things in early.  When
the calendar says the first of May, it's time to plant the warm season stuff
here.  The trouble is that May seems to have been later in arriving than the
calendar claimed.     Donna