[NAFEX] Surround experience this spring

Hilborn.E at epamail.epa.gov Hilborn.E at epamail.epa.gov
Thu May 29 13:04:05 EDT 2008

I am just starting to use Surround this spring.  So far I have noticed
some PC damage, but have thinned those fruit.  I too have trouble
getting Surround to stick to my plum tree, also my pears to some extent.
I added a bit of soap which improved adhesion  a bit.

I am spraying once per week after rains.  I try to keep a good coating
on the entire tree.  I am hoping to achieve Japanese beetle control as
they are my biggest pest to date, almost stripping all the new growth on
apples despite daily adult picking/disposal.  I spread Milky Spore last
year, so maybe that will help.  My trees are young and I do not get much
fruit from them yet, so it is hard for me to assess the amount of PC
control Surround will provide.

I must admit I do not know what CM damage would look like!  I may have
some and not know it....

The bottom line is, I too am spraying frequently, but it is too early
for me to know how useful all this work will be in the long run.

Betsy Hilborn
7a NC