[NAFEX] honeybees

Donna &/or Kieran holycow at cookeville.com
Wed May 28 23:52:17 EDT 2008

For those of you who are not seeing bees yet, we have had a very cool month
here in Tennessee.  Our bamboo was nearly a month late in sprouting, and I
just can't get squash and cucumber seeds to come up.  You may find that your
spring is running a bit slow too.
    Following the Big Easter Freeze last year we had reduced numbers of
paper wasps, very few yellowjackets at all, and zero baldfaced hornets.  The
giant hornets came through just fine though.  This spring the paper wasps
seem to be back in normal numbers, as the few nests we had last year were
incredibly prolific, due to lack of competition I am sure.  Don't know about
the yellowjackets and hornets yet.  Not too many bumblebees this year, but
plenty of carpenter bees, of course.  Donna