[NAFEX] red elderberry

Ernest Plutko ernestplutko at wiktel.com
Tue May 27 23:26:50 EDT 2008

Does anyone eat the flowers or fruit of red elderberry, Sambucus
racemosa?  Fruit is bitter.  I bought one more than 20 years ago.
Nursery said it was the edible kind of elderberry.  I didn't know
better. Started spreading and I cut them down every year but they
survived.  I have a big one next to my house that is thriving and I
gave up extermination and accept it.  Black elderberries here die to
the ground in winter and feebly grow back and give just a few
berries.  Not as hardy as red.

Walleye fishing was great today.