[NAFEX] Baggies

Naomi Counides naomi at oznayim.us
Mon May 26 23:37:56 EDT 2008

I like the baggies with the twist tie.

Naomi

  _____

From: nafex-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org
[mailto:nafex-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org] On Behalf Of Mark Dorogi
Sent: Monday, May 26, 2008 8:13 PM
To: 'North American Fruit Explorers'
Subject: [NAFEX] Baggies

I've been bagging apples using sandwich bags and noticed a few things.

I bought 900 bags at Meijer, since they were cheap (about $6.50 per 300
count box) but the seals just don't snap shut well.  After one day, some had
come off, and the seal has opened up on many others.

So I bought some at Kroger and although they are slightly more expensive,
they have deeper grooves on the seal and they close very securely and
tightly.  Last year I used these Kroger bags and they stayed on all year.
I'm surprised that there's such a difference in the bags.

It takes a while to prepare these baggies for use.  I cut off the lower two
corners with a sharp knife (10 to 15 bags at a time) and them remove the
excess flap near the seal with scissors.

After installing 200 of these baggies, I noticed an obvious thing: there is
no need to remove the flap for long stem apple varieties. Most of my trees
have pretty long stems, so I can save some work by skipping that step. I do
have a couple short stem varieties though that will require that extra step.

Mark

SE Michigan

http://www.eset.com