[NAFEX] Selling fruit (small scale)

Jim Fruth jfruth at tds.net
Mon May 26 09:00:37 EDT 2008

    Something I left out/forgot to mention is a positive side of U-Pick.  We
kept a list of some of the nicer, more congenial pickers and invite them
back.  We especially invited the poorer folks, those who wish we would
charge less.  The deal we offer is, "You pick one for you and one for us and
no money needs to change hands."  That solved the problem of most of the
dropped fruit and if  "the one for us" was over-ripe fruit, that's okay
because we are in the jelly business and we can use the over-ripe fruit.
    There is one problem with doing it this way, though.  Our accountant
said that, technically, our pickers become employees subject to tax
withholding, workman's compensation, etc.  He did add that so long as we
treat it like 'day labor' that we probably won't ever have a tax collector
knocking on our door.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN  56472