[NAFEX] Unsweet melons

Road's End Farm organic87 at frontiernet.net
Thu May 22 10:14:54 EDT 2008

On May 22, 2008, at 12:24 AM, Donna &/or Kieran wrote:

>  I really do think that the same tomato variety can be good one place
> and boring another.

This is my experience also; and it's not only a matter of large climate
differences, such as Florida versus New York; a variety with great
flavor grown on a farm on one side of the hill may be bland grown on
the other. I think it's a matter of the exact soil composition combined
with microclimate.

I think this is particularly true of tomatoes, but also suspect it's
true to some extent of just about everything. [warning: offtopic crop
mention coming up] The only potato fingerling I ever got a good crop of
was one known for its good flavor, and recommended to me by several
other growers within an hour's drive of here. Grown on my place, the
crop was great, but the flavor was awful: not only my opinion, but that
of other people also. I grew several other potato varieties in the same
field, in the same year, with the same growing methods, that tasted
great.

--Rivka
Finger Lakes NY; zone 5 mostly