[NAFEX] Unsweet melons

Road's End Farm organic87 at frontiernet.net
Tue May 20 08:24:25 EDT 2008

I have grown very good flavored melons on soil with significant clay (a
mix of clay, loam, and rocks). pH is moderately low, naturally around
5.8 and usually limed to the low to mid 6's.

In my experience, flavor varies a great deal with variety, and it's
possible that some varieties will produce good flavor on soils with
clay while others require sand. I don't know whether organic growing
techniques might also be making a difference.

The drastic drop off in flavor many report in the fall might be due to
the reduction in sunlight. A cool, cloudy season can also reduce
flavor.

I've had very good to extremely good flavor from Earligold, Golden
Gopher, Montana Gold, Harvest Queen, Minnesota Midget, Rocky Ford,
Jenny Lind; in watermelons the best flavor I've had was Blacktail
Mountain; Sugar Baby has decent watermelon flavor also, and is a lot
easier to find. Some varieties do seem to be bland here.

--Rivka
Finger Lakes NY; zone 5 mostly