[NAFEX] Periodic cicadas

Scott Smith scott at cs.jhu.edu
Fri May 16 12:11:15 EDT 2008

> No one I talked to mentioned serious damage to trees or shrubs

I suffered serious damage from cicadas in our last 17-year brood a few
years ago. Since these huge scars were in the future scaffold limbs I
had to cut off all the damaged branches, and that didn't leave much
left besides sticks out of the ground.   A couple trees never
recovered and died.  Overall it set me back a year or two.  I did
start to cover the trees but I had too many - I found 100' of rowcover
did only a small fraction, and the limbs were growing sideways under
the weight of the covering.

Scott