[NAFEX] Hawthorne, and myrobalan

Donna &/or Kieran holycow at cookeville.com
Thu May 15 09:42:53 EDT 2008

I have mayhaws, they bloom too early for Tennessee.  This year however we have had the sort of mild spring that normally we can only dream of, and it looks like for the first time there is a crop on the mayhaws.  I know Hector Black gets mayhaws fairly often, he's protected from wind at his place.  Someone further south said that the trouble with mayhaws was cedar hawthorne rust, that he got them because he assumed he wouldn't have to spray them, and he didn't intend to start.
    Incidentally, a perfectly normal 20 degree freeze in early March wiped out most of my myrobalan blossoms.  They opened quite normally, but the centers were dead.  Talk about not adapted to our climate... but the bark on the worst of the two refuses to slip and so I haven't been able to bark graft something better to it.  It looks healthy enough, why won't the bark slip?  Very strange.  I'm about ready to crawl around the base and look for borers.  The other one is pretty well loaded with fruit, and I'm wondering if  an early blooming native plum nearby will be sufficient for pollination.  Could get some interesting crosses as well....     Donna