[NAFEX] Moonglow pear

rick jacobs rckjacobs at yahoo.com
Sun May 11 05:45:25 EDT 2008

Well, I think some growers may not have access to the net, or time to surf it. While surfing, I heard of the Summercrisp  as soon as I started to look into pears for my zone 4b. Also found a nursery nearby that was going to carry it. But I just put in a Moonglow pear and  now am wondering if I need a Summercrisp or something to pollinate it. As a first year rookie urban orchardist, Im learning a lot from you all. Thanks
  Rick Jacobs  Minneapolis N.E.

Ernest Plutko <ernestplutko at wiktel.com> wrote:
  I have a Summercrisp pear that fruited last August for the first
time. Just a few pears but it pollinated itself because there is no
other pear tree around. Read on Net that this happens occasionally
to a limited extent with lone pears. Went to one summer nursery and
was told there is no such thing as a Summercrisp pear tree. Second
nursery told me they never heard of Summercrisp and Golden Spice pear
would not grow in this zone. (Golden Spice is hardy to -45 F). I
called and found a nursery that sells Golden Spice pear and I also
hope to get a Westcot apricot. 200 mile round trip but it is worth
it. I was really surprised last Fall when I saw pears on tree. I
forgot I had it. I finally remembered buying it about 9-10 years ago
in Mora, Minnesota

Zone 2-3 Minnesota

No exceptions.

NAFEX web site: http://www.nafex.org/