[NAFEX] covering cherries, fruit bags questions

Karen Tillou arboretum at homeorchardsociety.org
Thu May 8 14:47:25 EDT 2008

i have found white paper sandwich bags do the same work as ziplocks,
no clipping corners, no interior condensation; a good barrier against
scab, codling moth and apple maggot.  you just need a stapler to close
the open end of the bag around the stem of the apple.  footies don't
do much against scab.
if you don't remove the bag 2 weeks prior to harvest, the fruit won't
color up, but you still get a good, storable, sweet apple.  my bagged
melroses lasted until late march in unheated/uninsulated shed storage.

karen
oregon city, OR - zone 8a and wet