[NAFEX] Euro-ribes and afternoon sun. Z6 S. N.Y.

Scott Smith scott at cs.jhu.edu
Tue May 6 11:02:25 EDT 2008

Alan, the high-sky sun is from around 10AM to 2PM (there is not too
much difference in intensity in that period) but the air is much
warmer in the 12-2 part making it overall the most stressful period
for plants not happy in heat.  So, shading in that period alone would
be the ideal I would say, or maybe until 3PM.  The number of planting
spots  with such shade is few however; it is much more common to find
a spot with morning but no afternoon sun and so I think that is why
people talk about afternoon shading.  I had some currants in a spot
with only morning sun and they were very happy.  I also had some ribes
in a spot with more shade and they were not happy there.  Given my
good luck with my morning sun planting I have put in a new ribes
planting this spring which gets sun from morning to noon.

Scott
zone 6/7 Maryland