[NAFEX] Red and Black currants for warm climes

Richard Moyer ramoyer at gmail.com
Sun May 4 13:45:44 EDT 2008

Rob wrote: "Does anyone have a really good source of Black and Red currants?
I have seen that most of them seem to be Zone 8 or cooler, I am right on
zone 8 are there certain varieties I should lean towards?"

Rob,
Our currant that defoliates least in the summer heat is 'Crandall'.  This is
not a European Black Currant (Ribes nigrum), but a selection of American
native (Ribes odoratum).  Native through much of rockies, also down to N.
Texas.  So should be able to handle your heat but still would appreciate
afternoon shade.  Currant breeder Stan Pluta evaluated many black currants
at the NCGR repository in Corvallis, OR, and he and Kim Hummer published an
article in *Fruit Varieties Journal* entitled "Surprise, it's Crandall".
You can get a copy through interlibrary loan.
Hidden Springs Nursery and Edible Landscaping have both offered 'Crandall'
in the past.  Both have SE US humidity, so should be a good testing ground
for Red Currants you might want to try as well.

If you search this list archives, much more info on 'Crandall' there.

Hal Love is working with currants in TN, if I remember right, so he's worth
asking as well.  As are Adam and Sue Turtle.

Richard Moyer
NE TN/SW VA