[NAFEX] white druplet disorder-blackberries

Spidra Webster spidra at speakeasy.net
Sun Jun 29 18:26:05 EDT 2008

Yes, I've seen it on my olallieberries.  I've never seen it before.
We have had several unseasonable heatwaves including two as early as
April.  My yard suffered a lot of sunburn despite my going out and
handwatering when I knew the heatwaves were predicted.  While the
watering staved off some damage, I think the rest seemed unavoidable
because the plants just couldn't take the shock of going from temps
in the 60s to temps in the 80s with no in-between.

If there's more infomation on what causes the white drupelets, I'd be
interested in hearing it.

On Jun 29, 2008, at 2:30 PM, Mark & Helen Angermayer wrote:

> We're started picking Arapaho blackberries now, and a high
> percentage have
> several white (or tan) drupelets per berry.  The white drupelets
> shrivel and
> die and make the berries unappealing.  There doesn't seem to be a
> clear
> consensus among experts as to the cause of this problem (i.e. sunburn,
> temperature related, genetic, etc.)  I was wondering if anyone else is
> seeing it this year.

Megan Lynch

Berkeley, CA

CRFG, NAFEX: I'm in USDA Zone 9b