[NAFEX] Holding Soil Nutrients in warm areas.

Martha L. Davis martha_davis at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 24 12:53:44 EDT 2008

There has been some interesting research done to try and mimic the very black and fertile soil (tierra prieta ?) in certain areas of tropical south america.  Apparently this soil is man made in the archaeological past and the black was from charcoal. The study was a comparison between charcoal mixed with existing soil, charcoal mixed with existing soil and compost, and compost mixed with existing soil.  The one that did the best was the charcoal, compost, existing soil, mix.  I wonder if the charcoal somehow is able to improve the cation exchange rate and help hold the nutrients in the soil that would be otherwise washed away.  If I were having a hard time with sandy soil especially where organic matter breaks down quickly I would think this was worth a try.

Martha