[NAFEX] Santa Rosa in zone 3?

Alan Haigh alandhaigh at gmail.com
Mon Jun 16 17:53:12 EDT 2008

I doubt it.  I'm on the cold side of Z6 and Santa Rosa often suffers cambium
damage here.  I believe it may have more to do with spring fluctuations than
winter cold, however.  I've seen the worst damage in the last 3 years when
winters have been pretty mild.  Shiro and Methely are much tougher in my
nursery and the orchards I manage and bear more consistantly by far.
Unfortunately to most they don't taste as good.  Right now I rate Fortune as
the most promising really tastey Jap plum here.  Haven't had any cambium
damage on trees right next to damaged Santa Rosas and killed Elephant
Hearts.