[NAFEX] Rasberries

Lon J. Rombough lonrom at hevanet.com
Fri Jun 13 20:39:15 EDT 2008

There is virus in Rubus that is spread in the pollen, which will cause
decline and weakening of bushes.  In this area one way to avoid it in
raspberries is to plant fall bearing types and mow them off in the
spring.  That way, they bloom after the wild Rubus has finished and
there's no pollen transfer and virus spread from the wild to the
cultivated plants.  In some varieties/species there is a hypersensitive
reaction that makes the shoot die to stop the virus from getting into
the rest of the plant.
What you describe sounds similar to what happens on infected plants
here.
-Lon Rombough
"Best Talent in Writing" award for 2003.
A video about The Grape Grower :