[NAFEX] ant colonization of containers

David.Maxwell at dal.ca David.Maxwell at dal.ca
Wed Jun 11 09:35:57 EDT 2008

> PS, everybody know DE is dangerous to breath?

I am a physician.  I am not sure this statement is valid.  It is certainly harmless to
observe it, but do you know where the idea came from?  I believe that diatomaceous
earth is basically the exoskeletons of marine plankton, and is made of calcium
carbonate, the same material that limestone or chalk is made of.
Might there be a confusion here with silicaceous materials, such as the fine white
sand used for sandblasting (can't think of the name of it at present)?  Silicon dioxide
forms an assymetric crystal which (at least according to one theory) interacts with the
earth's magnetic field, generating tiny electrical currents which are responsible for its
provoking fibrosis of the lung tissue - the well known "silicosis", seen in hard rock
miners.
Calcium carbonate neither forms asymmeric crystals like silica, nor is it nearly as
insoluble as silica.  (I suspect any inhaled limestone particles which lodged in the
lungs would fairly rapidly be dissolved by the body)