[NAFEX] Lee's scarred fruit comment

Lee Reich garden at leereich.com
Thu Jun 5 11:31:01 EDT 2008

It evidently depends on the amount of the damage. Quoting from one of
Cornell's publications:

The plum curculio (PC) is a serious pest of plums, prunes, cherries
and apple in New York. It also
attacks apricot, nectarine, pear and quince as well as wild plum,
hawthorn and native crabapples.  This insect is
most abundant in orchards adjoining hedgerows and woodlands that
offer shelter or overwintering adults. Both
feeding and egg laying scars result in russeted areas on the surface
of the fruits. The crescent-shaped scar from
oviposition is useful in diagnosing damage from this pest. Severely
injured fruits become misshapen. Infested
fruits often drop early and with smaller fruits, such as cherry, the
entire fruit may be ingested by the larva.

In my experience, severely damaged fruits usually drop when quite
small so the only damaged fruit that I see have only one or two
scars. The most important point is: plum curculio is bad, and must be
controlled if you want to eat apples.

Lee Reich, PhD
http://leereich.com/

Books by Lee Reich: