[NAFEX] plum curculio

Alan Haigh alandhaigh at gmail.com
Thu Jun 5 06:21:41 EDT 2008

Steve, congrats on your observation skills.  I never noticed what you
observed by yourself until Lee Reich pointed it out to me several years
ago.  Plum curculio larvae usually don't survive in apples- they are crushed
by the rapidly expanding cells.  Unfortunately the damage is usually a lot
more than cosmetic as fruit is terribly disfigured with numerous hard spots
and becomes virtually useless especially for storage and even eating off the
tree.  Michael Phillips describes their life-cycle wonderfully well in "The
Apple Grower".