[NAFEX] organic-ish pest control in plums and peaches

Steve sdw12986 at aol.com
Wed Jun 4 23:41:14 EDT 2008

Steven Moize wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a question about using Bonide lime-sulfur spray on my plums for borers.  I assume they are borers.  There are tiny (1cm) larva at the pit, bored in from the outside.
>
> Any info on this product?  Any suggestions?
>
> Steve

Borers bore into the bark and wood of fruit trees.
Do your larva look about like this?
http://tinyurl.com/4ohjlf     (click where it says "click here" to see
the picture)
Do they leave scars on the fruit that start out looking like this?
http://www.uvm.edu/~organica/OrganicOrchardInformation/OrganicIPM/checklistimages/arthropods/PC/DSC_0009.jpg
Isn't lime-sulfur used as a fungicide? You need an insecticide to
control insects, not a fungicide.
Plum curculios lay eggs in plums (and other fruit) in the spring right
after the flowers have finished and the little fruits start forming.
If you already have the larva in your fruit, it's too late for the year.
Be ready for them next year.
If only a small portion of your plums have been infested, pick off all
the ones with the scars on them and send them far away (trash) or drop
them into a bucket of water and leave them in there until you are sure
the larva are dead.

Steve (the other one.... in the Adirondacks)