[NAFEX] Introduction / Buffaloberry Inquiry

kerry maser prairiegrapes at yahoo.ca
Thu Jan 24 16:53:50 EST 2008

Hi Robert; Heres a good link for you get a little information. There is some production on a small scale up here in the prairie provinces.

  http://www.gov.mb.ca/agriculture/crops/fruit/bll01s00.html

  Hope this helps. Cheers Kim Maser -Canadian Sources

Robert Stanton <robert.l.stanton at gmail.com> wrote:
  Hello All,

I'm new to the list.

Currently, I live in Champaign, Illinois (USDA zone 5) and am
interested in berries and their possibilities in permaculture. Last
year I planted a few of Purple-flowering Raspberry (Rubus odoratus),
elderberry (Sambucus canadensis), and red currant (Ribes rubrum).

This year, I'm considering planting Buffaloberry (Shepherdia
canadensis), as I found it referenced as a native plant used by the
native peoples that were once here on the prairie. Does anyone have
any experience planting and caring for this species? I'm curious to
know what its preferences and pitfalls are.

Thanks,
Robert

No exceptions.

NAFEX web site: http://www.nafex.org/