[NAFEX] Winter melons??

loneroc loneroc at mwt.net
Wed Jan 16 06:32:28 EST 2008

Hi Naomi,

I grew a 'Santa Claus' melon from Johhny's 6-7 years ago.  I wasn't aware that I'd gotten a fruit until after a frost killt the vines.  It was white fleshed and quite perfumed when I cut into it (the only one) a few weeks later. I think that 'Piel de Sapo' (toad's skin) is similar.  Although I am in ideal melon territory for being this far north I find that I accidentally trample melon vines during the season and end up with few fruit for the effort.  There's a melon grower just down the road from me who has a really nice product.  I just have to stick my head in the sand when I see the crop dusters flying over his fields.

Steve Herje  Lone Rock, WI

PS Thanks for the kind words a couple weeks back.