[NAFEX] Inulin/Diabetic Friendly Produce (OT?)

John S swim_at_svc at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 16 00:58:43 EST 2008

I am unable to answer Greg's questions but wanted to comment that I grow both yacon and Jerusalem artichoke.  The main difference for me is that yacon takes a little more effort to store and propagate for the next season while Jerusulem artichoke is harder to harvest and clean.  Yacon tubers are smooth and typically larger.  I prefer yacon taste myself but others differ.  Greg, I think you will like this one.

  John

Gregory Strella <gregory.strella at gmail.com> wrote:
  John's query on yacon reminded me of a question I've thought about posing to the list for some time.  I work with a community garden in a densely urban section of Baltimore, MD (zone 7a, but with additional inner city heat retention).  A number of our most beloved gardeners are diabetic and we grow Jerusalem artichokes partially because of they don't upset their blood-sugar levels.  We've ordered yacon for next season with this in mind.  I'm curious if anyone has tips for other particularly diabetic friendly fare - especially those that are as delicious and easy to cultivate as the two I've mentioned.

As always, thanks to everyone for the great conversation.

Greg Strella

No exceptions.

NAFEX web site: http://www.nafex.org/