[NAFEX] soil for sprouting

Doreen Howard gardendiva at charter.net
Fri Jan 11 22:18:40 EST 2008

Jerry,
The trick to spouting petunia and impatiens is not covering the seeds.  Scatter them over your planting medium and press into the damp mix with the palm of your hand.  Both flowers must have direct light on their seeds for them to break dormancy.  Any potting soil or starting medium works.  I make my own with 1 part peat, 1 part finely shredded bark and one part sieved compost or composted manure.  You can add a tablespoon of lime to a gallon of this mix to neutralize the acidity if its an issue with some plants.

Also, keep the surface of the planting medium uniformly moist.  I put plastic wrap over flats to conserve moisture and still let the light through.  A clear plastic lid from salad green tubs bought at the grocery store works well, too.
Doreen Howard