[NAFEX] asian pear rootstock compatibility?

R F Hollaus hollaus at comcast.net
Fri Jan 11 04:21:33 EST 2008

John, I don't believe I've ever heard of doing this else where since the recommendation is to put asian pears on taller rootstocks, example;http://extension.oregonstate.edu/catalog/html/pnw/pnw341/#anchor92517.....clearly states most asian pears require more of a root. However there are obviously exceptions to everything because I have used 2 different varieties of asian on the dwarfing OHF513 with NOproblems even when one of the grafts (a whip) is over 14 years old.  My take is that your graft is good but that you might have to water more than usual to match what conditions I might have here on mine. RF Hollaus, PNW (zone 7-8)
From: John Smith <friendly27sw at yahoo.com>