[NAFEX] AMF Affirmed

Michael Phillips michael at herbsandapples.com
Wed Jan 9 19:00:10 EST 2008

Thank you, Dennis! I didn't doubt for a minute that apple maggot fly behaved
any differently in the Midwest, and thus appreciate the affirmation of the
discussion I tried to generate. The earliest damage from AMF shows up in
early July on fruit just developing its ripening volatile odors. Ron Prokopy
at U-Mass (who did all the detailed work regarding trap type and timing)
clearly pointed out the relevant traits of AMF. It was too bad that the
person who brought up this site-specific discussion about AMF misidentified
the pest-inflicted damage on his own fruit, and so tried to dead-end a
useful conversation. The variables that make maggot fly such a problem
continue to be site -specific for a grower seeking a system solution.

I find it intriguing that you do a shallow cultivation to disturb the
pupation of both curculio and apple maggot fly. Could you please share the
timing of that cultivation? And any reflections you have about root
disturbance at that point in the season?

Thanks.

Michael

Michael Phillips

Lost Nation Orchard

Heartsong Farm Healing Herbs

859 Lost Nation Road

Groveton, NH 03582

603-636-2286

www.HerbsAndApples.com

I'm noticing some conflicting information about "Apple Maggot" in these
discussions.  Apple Maggot rarely emerges prior to 900 DD and rarely after
2800 DD.  Peak is typically the second to third week of July, depending on
the temperatures prior to that time.  The adult female is primarily
attracted to color, which is why we use red spheres (red plastic apples) or
yellow traps w/pheromones.  The greater the color, the more they are
attracted.  We also cultivate our soil within the tree line to a depth of
about 6" which kills any overwintering pests including Plum Curculio.

The flies typically don't begin to lay eggs until eight to ten days after
emergence. Both the males and the females will rest and feed in the general
area in which they emerge during the egg laying period. They move short
distances from tree to tree, usually no more than 200 to 300 yards. The
flies are not usually attracted to the apple fruit during this period and
may even be found in unfruited trees and shrubs in and around an orchard.
For a more in depth fact sheet on apple maggot, visit
http://www.canr.msu.edu/vanburen/fappmag.htm.  Hope this helps.

Dennis Norton

Royal Oak Farm Orchard

http://www.royaloakfarmorchard.com