[NAFEX] sweet cherries

Jwlehman at aol.com Jwlehman at aol.com
Tue Jan 8 11:26:29 EST 2008

Hi Jerry,

I have a Galaxy on MXM60 understock. It produces loads of sweetcherries (when
spring weather conditions permits) on our heavy clay. Two days ago we opened
another home canned quart. Delicious!

The tree is about 25 feet high. Can't get to the top to pick them. Yes, I
spray. I don't know if Hill Top Nursery in Michigan still uses MXM60 or not.

Most sweet cherry understocks don't like Indiana heavy clay and many
sweetcherries fail due to fungus in the wood. This tree is the first of many tried in
the past 30 years that has survived I'd say 15 years.

I also have experimental varieties on the new Russian dwarfing understocks
that so far look good on this clay. Late spring frost last year froze out the
entire experiment.

Jerry Lehman
Terre Haute, IN

Start the year off right.  Easy ways to stay in shape.