[NAFEX] Apple Maggot trap tree

dmnorton at royaloakfarmorchard.com dmnorton at royaloakfarmorchard.com
Mon Jan 7 10:44:44 EST 2008

I'm noticing some conflicting information about "Apple Maggot" in these discussions.  Apple Maggot rarely emerges prior to 900 DD and rarely after 2800 DD.  Peak is typically the second to third week of July, depending on the temperatures prior to that time.  The adult female is primarily attracted to color, which is why we use red spheres (red plastic apples) or yellow traps w/pheromones.  The greater the color, the more they are attracted.  We also cultivate our soil within the tree line to a depth of about 6" which kills any overwintering pests including Plum Curculio.

The flies typically don't begin to lay eggs until eight to ten days after emergence. Both the males and the females will rest and feed in the general area in which they emerge during the egg laying period. They move short distances from tree to tree, usually no more than 200 to 300 yards. The flies are not usually attracted to the apple fruit during this period and may even be found in unfruited trees and shrubs in and around an orchard.  For a more in depth fact sheet on apple maggot, visit http://www.canr.msu.edu/vanburen/fappmag.htm.  Hope this helps.
Dennis Norton
Royal Oak Farm Orchard
http://www.royaloakfarmorchard.com
http://www.revivalhymn.com