[NAFEX] Apple Maggot trap tree

Jim Fruth jfruth at tds.net
Sat Jan 5 10:22:58 EST 2008

Michael Phillips wrote:  "Apple maggot fly is drawn to ripening fruit to
both feed and lay eggs."

Michael,
    I don't agree.  Maybe that's the case where you live but certainly not
true for my area.  Here, apple maggot flees lay their eggs in developing
fruit.  They begin infecting fruit that is barely more than marble size.
Before I started bagging my apples, much of the fruit was infected by the
time the apples were half the size of a golf ball.  I have only a few week's
window of time to get the bags on the apples or I might as well forget it
for the season.
    Having said that, the questions you asked are irrelevant.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN  56472
For jams, jellies & syrups: