[NAFEX] Pectin jell

Stephen Sadler Docshiva at Docshiva.org
Thu Aug 28 14:51:31 EDT 2008

Yes, pureeing the fruit gave you too high a fruit ratio.  Also, that
elevation will give

A box of pectin weights 1.75 ounces, so a pound is worth a little over 9
boxes.  Buying in bulk I pay about 56 cents  per box equivalent before
postage.  If you have an apple tree, you can make your own, which is
cheapest yet.  Generally, don't buy more than a season's worth, as the
pectin can break down and not work as well over time.  I vacuum seal it to
extend its life.

You paid $3.50 for 3 boxes?  I see it for over $2 a box.

~ Stephen

Sacramento, CA - elevation 52 feet, our lot 18 feet.

From: nafex-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org
[mailto:nafex-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org] On Behalf Of Mark & Helen
Angermayer
Sent: Thursday, August 28, 2008 11:10 AM
To: North American Fruit Explorers
Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Pectin jell

Thanks to everyone for all the helpful comments on jamming.  One thing I can
take from it is that experience helps a lot.

Stephen said, too much, or too ripe fruit, may have been my problem.  Now
that I think about it, the peaches, at least, were pretty ripe.  And I
probably did use too much fruit.  The recipe called for a volumetric
measurement of chopped peaches.  But since my family doesn't like "chunky"
jam, We ran the peaches through a processor to make a puree' and used that
in the volumetric measurement instead chopped peaches.

I thought the pectin was sort of pricey also.  We bought three boxes and
paid $3.50 total.  The pectin yielded 9 pint jars of jam.  That computes to
about 60 cents per jar for pectin.

Stephen, how many boxes of pectin can you get out of a pound of the bulk
pectin you buy?  The website says 1/3 cup = a box of sure jell.  At $5.15
per #, how many boxes can you get out of that pound (I know the rule is a
pint/pound the world around, but I've found that doesn't work with dry
measurements, they can be much "fluffier" than liquid measurements)?

Thanks,

Mark

KS- elevation about 1000'