[NAFEX] Cooking red currants

William C. Garthright billg at inebraska.com
Mon Aug 25 10:46:01 EDT 2008

> My favorite way to eat red currants (other than just plain) is to make rote gruetze or rotgrot or red fruit juice dessert.

Thanks for the recipe, Martha. (I was really intrigued by the recipes
from Jacquelyn Kuehn in the Summer Pomona, too. I drool just thinking
about the Strawberry-Rhubarb Coffee Cake.)

Although I don't usually cook, and I don't really want to start,... I
also hate to waste anything. If I'm growing something, I want to eat it!
(One reason why summer gardening is such a good thing for me, because I
never even look at the vegetables in the grocery store - but I'll eat
them, and greatly enjoy them, if I grow them myself.)

And when it comes to currants, I'm apparently going to have to cook them
- or at least add sugar. So far, I've just stuck them in the freezer,
but I'm making a note of all these recipes and maybe I'll try some this
winter.

Thanks again,

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
The twin doctrines of separation of church and state and liberty of
individual conscience are the marrow of our democracy, if not indeed