[NAFEX] Blackberries in Nebraska

William C. Garthright billg at inebraska.com
Wed Aug 13 11:54:10 EDT 2008

> Bill, I won't try to talk you into blackberries, since you're at a stage that planting one thing means giving up something else (we all reach that phase at some point).  But I will confirm your supermarket experience with blackberries probably doesn't compare with home grown blackberries.

Yeah, that doesn't surprise me, Mark!

> I don't want to step on anyone's toes, but I don't like black raspberries.  I've tried wild blackcaps and domesticated blackcaps, and like neither.  To me, black raspberries taste as if they have a hint of hard boiled egg.  However, my daughter prefers blackcaps to blackberries.  I don't understand this, but neither can I understand how my wife and son like pickled artichokes.  Each to his own.

Yes, indeed. I must say that I LOVE the taste of my bird-planted black
raspberries. But I've got one plant (I mentioned not long ago), that
seems to be something different - bigger berries, later ripening, etc. -
which is really pretty bland, in comparison. Still not bad, though.

And I like hard-boiled eggs, too, not to mention pickled artichokes.
Heh, heh.

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
In childhood our credulity serves us well. It helps us to pack, with
extraordinary rapidity, our skulls full of the wisdom of our parents and