[NAFEX] Blueberries vs. Blackberries

Betty Mayfield bmayfield at opusnet.com
Fri Aug 8 15:18:29 EDT 2008

I have never bought either blackberries or blueberries in a store,
but I grow my own blackberries and have U-picked blueberries.

The commercial blueberries grown in farms are sweet, but have little
or none of the flavor of the wild berries I have eaten in the Cascade
Range on hiking trips.

I raise Cascade blackberries, a trailing type that has the wonderful
rich flavor of the little wild trailing blackberries of the Pacific
Northwest. It is thorny, but I wear a heavy leather glove on my left
hand to push away canes and pick with my bare right hand. The berries
are too juicy and delicate to pick with gloves.  They have to be
picked at the moment of ripeness. Sometimes I have left ripe ones
till the next day and found those berries turned moldy overnight.

I don't know if these trailing berries would grow in other parts of
the country.

Betty Mayfield
northwest Oregon