[NAFEX] figs

Bassem Samaan bassem at gardener.com
Sat Aug 2 12:33:11 EDT 2008

 I grow over 70 different varieties of figs in Pennsylvania for the past
6 years. While I have many in the ground most of them are in pots. It
might seems crazy that I have all these varieties, but i'm searching for
the best fig in our climate.
You might not know this but Celeste and Brown turkey are the most
commonly mislabled figs. Everytime a beginner sees a brown skined fig, he
would call it a brown turkey or Celeste. The original Brown Turkey came
from England back in the mid 1800's, as well as Celeste which came from
Sicily.
Now you might see names such as California brown turkey, Blue Celeste,
improved celeste, English Brown turkey, and so on.
I get so much figs out of my trees that I make enough jam to last me
through winter.
The top on my list is:
Dark portuguese ( a variety I obtained from a portuguese immigrant, small
to medium, very sweet flavor, bears early)
Brooklyn White ( I discovered it in a Brooklyn neighborhood where it
survived for many years uncovered. 2 crops, main crop is large light skin
fig with amber interior, bears heavy crops annually)
Hardy Chicago ( a good fig, great for short season, and hardy, but tends
not to bear well when it grows large. I recommend pruning it to 12"
inches high)
Naples white ( a man from Naples, Italy gave me this precious fig. I
picked extra large figs in begining of July, and now it has a second crop
about to ripen in about 2 weeks. Excellent flavor)

There are a more promising figs for our area that I'm stil evaluating.

Bassem Samaan
zone 6, Bethlehem, pa