[NAFEX] Bald-faced hornet nests/wasps

hans brinkmann hans-brinkmann at t-online.de
Fri Aug 1 09:58:57 EDT 2008

Hallo Rivka, Jerry and Mathew,

it's been a pleasure to read your interesting comments!
Let me just add:
At Europe many garden owners/fruit-farmers do hang artificial housings
especially for hornets:

Just for their protection AND to have less unwanted insects at their
gardens!
Wasps and hornets do eat usually only insects - only at a very small
percentage - when they are older - they prefer sweet juice.
At small Germany we have more than 550 different species of wild-bees,
11 different wasps resp. hornets and only one honey-bee.
Some wasps do eat also pollen, some can even collect pollen and many do
also pollinate flowers.
Hornets do fly 24 h and hunt more than 20 h per day! Hornets do never
sleep (only a kind of half-minute-sleep)!!!

ciao
Hans