[NAFEX] grafting questions

Erdman, James ErdmanJ at uwstout.edu
Fri Apr 25 08:50:57 EDT 2008

The apple rootstocks had little root (which I wasn't surprised at), and
when the tops died, and I dumped out the pots, the roots looked like
they hadn't done anything since planting.  My potting soil came from
Vermont Compost company (picked it up at the organic farming
conference).  The potted ones were in the shade on the north side of the
house, shaded from maybe 9am to 3 or 4pm.

Someone mentioned viruses in the scions.  I used scion wood from at
least 3 friends, from a person on this list, and from my own trees, and
I wouldn't have expected all of these to have the same kind of problem
transmitted through scionwood .

Thanks for any ideas.

Jim