[NAFEX] Himalayan blackberries

Ernest Plutko ernestplutko at wiktel.com
Tue Apr 22 14:01:01 EDT 2008

Was there rampant growth in Alabama?  I saw the plant database
previously but I have never seen R armeniacus growing in the East or
Midwest.  Maybe I should say I never recognized any. I did see robust
blackberries growing in a vacant lot a little north of St Paul. Mn.
They grew in arches about 15 feet long and had thick, thorny canes.
They had fairly sparse, tasty blackberries.  I took a few small
plants 300 miles north to grow but they died over the first winter.
I'm wondering if they were Himalayan blackberries. The only native
blackberries I have seen in Minnesota were small spindly canes with
poor quality fruit.