[NAFEX] Citrus and squirrels

Ginda Fisher list at ginda.us
Mon Apr 21 07:53:06 EDT 2008

On Apr 21, 2008, at 7:30 AM, Harrick, Barbara wrote:

> Hi all! Has anyone else had any difficulty with squirrels bothering
> citrus in containers? I must have the greediest squirrels on the
> planet......

Yes, (Although technically my meyers lemon citrus is in the ground
when the squirrels have access to it.  It lives in a pot in the
winter, and in my backyard in the summer.)

The first year I put it out the squirrels took all the unripe fruits
and buried them in the woods.  (I found most of the fruits.)  Since
then, I have caged it when it is outdoors.

Just a warning - last year I was having trouble with the cage blowing
away, and it had no fruit, so I left it unprotected.  It was fairly
heavily "pruned" by deer, and something nibbled away a lot of the
bark near the base, mice or rabbits, I suppose.  This year I plan to
use the cage again.  I do not have especially heavy deer pressure, so
the citrus plant must taste good.

Ginda